Friday night we stayed in and watched P.S. I Love You with our friend Marcella. If you haven't seen it you really must. It's with Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler. The movie is about a woman whose husband dies and how he writes her letters after his death but he's from Ireland so of course some of the scenes in the movie have her going back to Ireland where they met while she was a study abroad student...aka our fantasies
Check out this clip from the movie...she mentions Glendalough, Wicklow, and Dun Laoghaire (which is near UCD).
On Saturday we decided to recreate P.S. I Love You by signing up for a hike in Glendalough, County Wicklow. We took a 2.5 hour hike then wandered around the St. Kevin's Monastery. I was really excited to find some "Conways'" in cemetery. Though technically my great grandfather was adopted so we aren't technically from the Conway clan and my family doesn't know that much about where we originated.
| A Conway Relative? |
| Me standing at the top of the Glendalough valley. |
After that we went to Eddie Rockets which is basically the irish version of Johnny Rockets. The australians really wanted to go so we were like "umm okay, its just american food" turns out they have never been to a diner and it was on their list of things to do. It's so funny to see people excited about things we see all the time.
I love exchanging details about our home culture with the other international students. Showing each other currencies, learning new languages, and even sharing wild life differences. Adele and Emma were telling us more about Wombats, and Wallabys than we ever needed to know. They also enjoyed seeing our "paper" money. We may be from different countries all over the world, yet we are all just young people exploring and looking to have some fun.
![]() |
| Everyone at Eddie Rockets. |
We ended the night at Whelan's pub where P.S. I Love You was filmed. We only had a quick drink the place was a little packed and we were tired from the day hike.
| P.S. I Love You movie poster signed by Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler at Whelan's Pub. |
Today (Sunday) we took a historical walking tour of Dublin. We visited Stephen's Green, Trinity College, Dublin Castle, Temple Bar, and some government buildings. The tour was great but it was really cold out. The irish call the wind "lazy" not because it's slow but because instead of going around you it goes through you.
Tomorrow classes start...but I don't have classes on Monday so the irish students have what they call "Black Monday" which the Americans find a little strange because it's Martin Luther King day. Anyway basically everyone goes to the school pub and drinks throughout the day in between classes.
Honestly, I'm excited for classes. UCD (University College of Dublin) calls them modules. The modules I'm taking are....
- World Urbanization
- Topics in Urban and Regional Planning
- Geographic Information Systems
- Science Writing and Review
- Dublin's Museums
- Irish Language for Beginners (Gaelic)
The semester should be full of good craic (fun). Slainte!! (Cheers)
(More pictures are posted on Facebook)

No comments:
Post a Comment