Monday, January 30, 2012

Howth, Hockey and Other Happenings

Dia Duit! 

Three weeks in Ireland...I'm basically European by now. I've even by jamming to some European music such as Olly Murs. His music is like a combination of Michael Buble and Bruno Mars. He's got some nice  upbeat songs; my current favorite being Dance With Me Tonight (music video post below).




Fish and chips I had at Howth.

My eating habits have also changed. Chocolate has become a staple in my diet, mostly Cadbury Chocolate. If you know me, you know I'm a picky eater so you probably won't believe me when I say that I have had fish and chips three times since I've been here. I know, I know I've always hated fish, shellfish, sushi you name it but if you fry cod then put a whole bunch of tartar sauce on it, it's not that bad.













This weekend was busy as usual. I had my first field hockey game on Saturday. It was very exciting and I had a lot of supporters thanks to my friends from the international program and my awesome roommates. I was a little nervous about the game because at practice the night before I was struggling with some of the irish hockey terms. Though it's the same sport and it's played the same some of the calls have different names. I play goalie so communication with my defenders gets complicated when we don't understand what each other is referring too. However, we overcame this challenge and we were able to tie 0-0 on Saturday. The team is a really nice and I enjoy playing with them. They have taught me a lot about irish culture at the young adult level and some new irish slang that I have included on my Irish, Not Gaelic page.

Hockey game (I'm the goalkeeper)

On Sunday, I woke up to down pouring rain for the first time since I have been here. I shouldn't be surprised that it was raining this is Ireland but it was a little disappointing as the weather has just been wonderful up until then and we had a day hike scheduled to Howth with ESN. Howth is a little marine village north of Dublin, sort of like Cape Cod but not. We enjoyed some fish and chips, made it through about half of the hike, then returned to campus. Even though the weather was off I got to see some beautiful cliffs and a seal.

Mr. Seal


I didn't realize this before but I speak gaelic seal.....fluently. We saw a seal off the pier so I called out to it (Argh!, Argh!) and it came right over to me for the perfect picture. It was absolutely adorable and it sort of looked like my dog, Smeagol.
At the ocean's edge in Howth



























As you may have noticed with my web pages, I'm really flying my nerd flag high with this blog. I have again added a new page titled "Virtual Tours". So far I only have one tour up of the UCD campus but I'm hoping to put one up of Dublin City Center by next week.
I was recently selected to write some blogs for Education in Ireland as a US student ambassador, so I am trying a few things out and stepping up my game a little bit.
If there is anything you want to see or hear leave me a comment or shot me an email and I'll try to include it somewhere within this website.

Thanks so much to everyone who is reading! I'm already over 1,000 views!








No comments:

Post a Comment