Believe it or not there more to this Ireland adventure than having fun. I'm actually on this trip to enhance my educational background thus "study" abroad. The Europeans refer to this experience as "Erasmus".
Classes started on Monday, January 16. As I posted before the UCD students refer to the first day of classes as "Black Monday" and the last day of classes is considered "Black Friday". On these days as the name implies copious amounts of alcohol are consumed.
I had only one module on Monday that lasted only long enough for the teacher to introduce the class and the syllabus. The class was then dismissed and most students headed directly for the campus pub. I myself did indulge in a Bulmer's cider at the pub but did not engage in Black Monday to the extent that others did.
So far classes have been going well. The professors are very kind to international students and often ask where we are from and what brings us to Ireland.
There are some differences between classes here and in the US. First, not many of the irish students take notes by means of a laptop; they are strictly pen and paper. Second, unlike in the US where 10 hands go up at the end of the lecture irish students (in my experience) are not very participatory in lecture. This isn't very surprising as the assessment of the class is based only on the final exam and a few papers, not participation or attendance.
I wouldn't say this makes the classes easier as you still have make sure you are keeping up with the reading and the exercises on your own time outside of class......time management is key.
Another exciting part of this week was the maiden voyage of my bicycle. I only almost died twice. Once because I was in the right lane instead of the left and the other because I forgot to look to the right for traffic. Yes, I am wearing a helmet.
The bike has been my saving grace to get to class. Even though I am a Science major at home, I am considered "Arts & Human Sciences" at UCD as I am taking mostly electives with a few core classes. This leaves me running (well biking) between the Planning and Environmental Policy Center, the Science Center, the Computer Science Center, and the Liberal Arts building known as Newman. In contrast, my friends Katie (business) and Callan (law) have all their classes in the same building; it all depends on what you are studying.
Not much is new besides classes, but this weekend we will be sightseeing in and around Dublin so I'll keep you posted.
Please check out the new pages I have added to the site; Cead Mile Failte; Not Gaelic, but Irish; Timeline.
No comments:
Post a Comment