Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Baile Átha Cliath

Wow, as of last Friday I have one month left in Ireland. But I just got here!
Time flies when you are having fun.

I figured I'd use this post to write about some fun things I've been doing in Dublin that have been shoved aside by some of the bigger trips I've taken. There's actually a lot of stuff to do in Dublin. Even after being here for 4 months I still have a lot left to do. For example, I have yet to see the Book of Kells or visit the Guiness Factory, two of the most popular attractions.

As I mentioned in a previous post my friend Corinne and I usually meet up in city center once a week to do some exploring. Or shopping or just to grab lunch. We always meet on Grafton Street near St. Stephen's Green shopping center. If you ever get to Dublin you will end up on Grafton Street. It is very much like the commons in Ithaca with shops, street performers and one of my favorite places Bewley's Cafe. Bewley's has the best coffee/tea and they have very good lunch sandwiches/salades. It's basically replacing Panera in my diet.

Corinne and I at Bewley's


After meeting of Grafton Street we usually have a list of museums, sights or buildings we want to see. So we whip out a map and circle the best route. Some of the places we have visited include the National Gallery of Ireland, the National Museum of Ireland (Collin's Barracks), Kilmainham Goal, Dublinia Viking Museum and Christ Church Cathedral. Mostly places of historical significance.

If you are into Irish history the National Museum has an excellent exhibition on the Easter Rising in 1916. One of my favorite places was actually the Kilmainham Gaol (Gaol = Jail). I originally went there with Corinne because she had to do a project on it but it ended up being really cool. Kilmainham is where the leaders of the Easter Rising and IRA were executed. During the famine people would also commit crimes to get into the jail; as in jail you could get food. At the end of our tour of the jail Corinne asked our guide (this old irish guy who seemed to be amused by us American tourists) some questions for her report. Being a history major she totally stumped him when he messed up some dates and names. Luckily, the place was closing and he had a good reason to kick us out.

Kilmainham Jail

Dublinia was also very interesting. Honestly, I never really knew too much about the vikings but apparently Dublin was founded by the vikings and even gave it it's name, "Dublin" meaning "black pool". Unfortunately, I was not inspired by Dublinia and I still think vikings are step above cavemen. I just don't get them.
At the end of this week I'm taking a tour of the Dail and Leinster House, some government buildings in Dublin. I'm going with Education in Ireland, the organization I am making videos and writing for as a student ambassador. Very excited for some more educational activities. Sorry I'm so boring but I have family reading this so my crazy nights out trying to keep up with my thick blooded Irish friends are going to have to be stories I tell in person. Not that I do that, ever.

Okay one quick innocent story. I felt the need to share some American culture with my hockey team so I taught them how to play beer pong (w/water) and shared with them the iconic red solo cup. Out of all the friends I've made this semester I'm definitely going to miss them the most!

My UCD Hockey Girls
Team Photo

I'm almost done with all my projects and finals. I have two projects, one paper and one final left. All of which I've either started or am half way done with, phew. 

I did watch Titanic this past weekend for those of you who read last weeks post. I haven't watched the movie in a long long time so it was definitely a treat. I started the movie around 8pm and it ended at 11:40pm the exact time Titanic hit the iceberg. Honestly, I think the movie is inaccurate but the event itself is just fascinating. And of course tragic. Okay now that I sound like an obsessed Titanic freak that's probably a good sign to stop writing. 














No comments:

Post a Comment